The museum’s Collection of Paintings behind Glass is exhibited in Pilate’s House.
The frescos on the exterior façade were painted by Franz Zeraph Zwink in 1784.
One important significance of this collection is that the artists Wassily Kandinsky and Franz Marc were inspired by these paintings and in 1912 published 9 of them in the almanac “Blue Rider” („Der Blaue Reiter“).
Pilate’s House - Built in the 18th century, Pilate’s House received it’s name from the striking perspective frescos painted by the “Lüftlmaler” Franz Seraph Zwink (1748 - 1792). These are certainly the most well known fresco paintings in Oberammergau. Along with the Museum’s collection of Paintings behind Glass on the first floor, the “Living Workshop” is also located here, where one can observe artists at work.
Pilate’s House is located near the Museum, in Ludwig-Thoma-Straße 10.